While not as busy as the last few weeks, the week of August 16 offers many important earnings announcements that investors will be watching closely. There are two key groups of stocks worth highlighting here. The first one is large retailers like Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot and Target. The second one includes hardware manufacturers like Cisco, NVDIA and Cree.
Most of these companies are reporting results “off cycle” because their fiscal quarters traditionally end in “off cycle” months. In the case of retailers, that may have to do with the returns of Christmas gifts they always have to process in early January. The logic here is that keeping both the holiday buying rush and the holiday returns in the same quarter gives investors a more realistic revenue picture.
As usual, we expect most companies to beat their EPS and revenue estimates. As you will see, we are also optimistic about several stocks’ prospects of beating their whispers. Here is a quick rundown of our AI’s earnings estimates for this week.
- Nvidia (NVDA) GAAP earnings: $0.93 Proximilar AI forecast vs. $0.83 Wall St analyst estimate consensus (NVDA non-GAAP: $1.12 our AI estimate vs. $1.02 consensus EPS vs. $1.07 whisper number)
- Walmart (WMT): $1.69 our AI estimate vs. $1.57 consensus EPS vs. $1.69 whisper
- Home Depot (HD): $4.67 Proximilar vs. $4.43 consensus EPS estimate vs. $4.52 whisper
- Cisco Systems (CSCO): $0.86 our estimate vs. $0.83 consensus vs. $0.85 whisper
- Sea (SE): -$0.52 our estimate vs. -$0.49 consensus EPS
- Lowes Companies (LOW): $4.23 our estimate vs. $3.99 consensus EPS
- Target (TGT): $3.90 our estimate vs. $3.51 consensus EPS
- Deere & Co (DE): $5.21 our estimate vs. $4.58 consensus EPS
- Applied Materials (AMAT): $1.90 our estimate vs. $1.78 consensus
- Estee Lauder (EL): $0.64 our estimate vs. $0.50 consensus
- Agilent Technologies (A): $1.10 our estimate vs. $0.99 consensus
- Cree (CREE): -$0.23 our estimate vs. -$0.24 consensus
Looking ahead to next week
The week of August 23 will be light on announcements. Among the large names releasing earnings will be Salesforce (CRM), Medtronic (MDT) and Intuit (INTU). According to our AI, the companies most likely to beat Wall Street’s expectations by a wide margin will be HP Inc. (HPQ), Best Buy (BBY) and Gap (GPS). See our latest forecasts for details.